Are you or a loved one experiencing the challenges that often come with menopause? The journey through this life stage can be filled with various discomforts, from hot flashes and mood swings to sleep disturbances and muscle aches. It can be daunting, even debilitating at times. But there's a natural path that holds immense promise in providing relief – infrared saunas.
Infrared saunas are gaining popularity as a soothing treatment for perimenopause and menopause symptoms. These saunas, unlike traditional ones, use gentle infrared light and heat to warm your body, penetrating deep into the skin and tissues to provide a therapeutic experience that's both effective and comforting.
You might be wondering how this natural approach can make a difference. Well, there's not only a wealth of personal stories but also scientific research that supports the benefits of infrared sauna therapy for managing menopause-related discomforts.
Dr. Taz is an integrative medicine physician who aims to empower women through integrative, functional, and holistic medicine. In a blog post on her site she lays out how infrared saunas can be used to find relief during menopause.
1. Alleviating Hot Flashes: Using heat to combat hot flashes might seem counterintuitive, but it works wonders. As menopause lowers estrogen levels, vital proteins that regulate body temperature decrease too. Research has shown that using an infrared sauna three times a week can stimulate the production of these proteins and estrogen levels1, potentially reducing the frequency and severity of hot flashes.
2. Enhancing Sleep and Reducing Stress: Sleep disturbances are common during menopause, but infrared sauna therapy can promote relaxation and improve sleep quality2. It triggers the release of endorphins, our natural stress relievers3, and soothes your muscles and mind4. Many women, like myself, have experienced improved sleep quality with just a 20-minute sauna session before bedtime. My Sunlighten sauna uses ultra-low EMF technology and is part of my nighttime routine.
3. Relieving Pain and Boosting Mood: Menopause often brings inflammation and pain, but studies have demonstrated that infrared sauna therapy can reduce joint pain and stiffness5. Additionally, regular use can reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety, helping you maintain a positive attitude despite hormonal shifts6.
4. Revitalizing Your Skin: Menopause can cause a decline in collagen production, resulting in dryness, irritation, and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Infrared saunas stimulate collagen production, reduce wrinkles and fine lines, and improve skin texture and tone7. I love a simple & noninvasive way to enhance the look and feel of skin, and this one gets my seal of approval.
5. Supporting Detoxification: Infrared saunas induce deep sweating, aiding in the elimination of toxins and waste products. This detoxification process eases the burden on your liver and helps maintain hormone balance8, an essential aspect of menopausal comfort.
6. Supporting Heart Health: As estrogen levels drop during menopause, cardiovascular risks may increase. Regular sauna use has been shown to improve blood vessel function and circulation, potentially supporting your heart health during this time9.
How Often to Use an Infrared Sauna: You don't need to invest a lot of time to experience these benefits. Starting with short, 15-minute sessions at temperatures ranging from 110 to 130 degrees can be effective. For noticeable improvements in menopause symptoms, aim for three to four sessions per week, lasting 20 to 30 minutes each. Adjust the frequency and duration based on your comfort and needs, and remember that consistency is key.
Finding relief for menopause symptoms can be a challenging journey, but infrared sauna therapy offers a natural and promising approach. Before incorporating it into your routine, it's essential to consult with a healthcare provider, especially if you have underlying health conditions. With professional guidance and a regular sauna routine, you can navigate menopause with greater comfort and an improved quality of life. Your well-being matters, and Natural Menopause Relief may be the answer you've been searching for.